Neighbourhood Watch started in Cheshire in 1982 and as the idea caught on, rapidly spread throughout the country. The aims of Neighbourhood Watch are to stimulate public interest in the idea of working together to protect the neighbourhood from crime. Everybody is encouraged to be on the look-out for suspicious behavior or activity that seems to be out of place and to report it to the Police speedily - especially if a 'suspect' is still present.
- If there is a suspicious activity in progress, dial 999.
- If there is less urgency then ring Braintree Police Station (01376) 551312.
- Remain calm, note any suspicious vehicles, but don't approach suspicious people.
- Your local voluntary Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator is Sheila Steer (01376) 326742.
- The Police Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator for the Braintree District Council Area is Clive Stewart of Essex Police, (01376) 556282.
- The Community Warden for Rayne: Paul Richards - 07785 515523.
- The Police Community Support Officers responsible for Rayne: P.C.S.O. Terrie Johnson & P.C.S.O. Laura Hearn - 07973 703810.
- Essex Police have launched a new text messaging service for the reporting of non-emergency police related information and intelligence. It is not to be used in place of 999 services. Video or picture messages are not accepted.
If you have information or require advice, text 07624 800101.
(As soon as Essex Police receive the text message a response will be sent - no response means that the message has not been received).